Monday, March 28, 2011

The Eruption & Disruption of Loss

My thoughts have really focused on LOSS the last few days.  It seems that after one has experienced deep loss you can easily spot it in the eyes of others.  Maybe I'm just ultra sensitive right now but feel keenly aware of the turmoil in others and the impact it produces.

When a disruption (or eruption in some cases) occurs, it wreaks havoc.  Just watching the devastation in Japan shows us the chaos that follows such an event.  Many of us react in similar ways when experiencing a disruption in our own lives.  I have felt like a nuclear reactor about to blow several times during the past seven months and yet, many other times, wished for the tsunami to wash over me and propel me out to sea.  However, the loss I've reflected on during these last days has not displayed my reflection in the mirror.

You probably know many who have experienced loss of one kind or another  My attention turned to a precious young woman this week who is bravely facing a major "disruption" in her life.  To say that this person is beautiful, inside and out, is an understatement.  She is physically beautiful - so much so that she could be on the cover of a major magazine.  She offers much more than physical beauty though, she has a sweet spirit and loves and honors God with all of her heart.  Still, she has faced a loss so deep that she is reeling as she attempts to pick up the pieces and begin again.  Her loss is a very different kind from mine but possibly even more devastating.  There is no doubt in my mind that she will overcome the chaos and move forward but there will always be scars from the debris field.  I pray that she has friends who will walk beside her as the road of LOSS is dark, lonely and filled with rubble that can cause a stumble.  

There are friends around me everyday who have experienced loss.  Loss of a parent, loss of a child, loss of a job, loss of a dream, loss of a vision, loss of a ministry, loss of a friendship, loss of joy.  It struck me over the last few days that many times we turn a blind eye to those suffering loss because it makes us uncomfortable or possibly will require time we don't feel we have.  Maybe it is easier to just hope that someone else will walk the road with them.  How fortunate I have been - my family and friends have been there in ways that could take weeks to impart.  I mean they have BEEN THERE FOR ME!  I HAVE HUGE SHOES TO FILL and plenty of those around me who need my help on their journey.

Bottom line, those experiencing loss have a deep constant need for God's peace.  Peace will flourish when we trust Him in the midst of trouble.  The Lord removes the rubble and debris from our path and makes the wild destructive road a place of beauty.  A place of beauty????  There are things we see, hear and experience on this road called LOSS that can't be experienced anywhere else.  Don't get me wrong!!!!  I DO NOT RELISH THIS JOURNEY - IT HAS BEEN THE MOST DIFFICULT, ARDUOUS, CHALLENGING, FORMIDABLE, LABORIOUS, PAINFUL, WEARISOME, DEMANDING, EFFORTFUL...uh, you get the picture!  In the midst of intense grief, I see that God WILL complete His work in me and realize that it can be easier (if allowed) to deteriorate in disheartenment than to live in hope.  Dennis preached a wonderful sermon that he entitled "I Choose Joy."  We, as Christians, will not escape from pain and sorrow BUT we can choose the joy that only God can give.  Our need for a Savior is great even in the brightest days of life although we don't always acknowledge Him.  When deep sorrow and loss impact us, hopefully we turn to Jesus AND we become His hand extended to others.

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford

I need Thee, O, I need Thee
Every hour I need Thee
O bless me now, my Savior
I come to Thee

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain

I need Thee, O, I need Thee
Every hour I need Thee
O bless me now, my Savior
I come to Thee




     

No comments:

Post a Comment