Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Healing in the Valley of the Sun

Grand Canyon July 2011

I boarded the Allegiant flight with mixed emotions on July 26th, 2011.  For those of you who know me well, you wouldn't be surprised as you know that flying is very low on my list of "favorite things."  It wasn't the flight this time though that troubled me, but the fact that I was going to Arizona to attend General Council and judge Fine Arts without being by Dennis' side.  The exciting prospect was spending almost two weeks with Sara and her college roommate and maid of honor, Amber.  Amber lives and teaches school in Mesa and we were going to spend a week with her, in her new home, sight-see and then on to the hotel for Council the following week. 

 My emotions were raw as I attempted to visualize myself at General Council without Dennis.  We had missed only one Council in the 36 years we were married and it was always such fun to just "sit back" and watch Dennis work his magic with people.  He never forgot a name, a connection or an association and always left with more new friends that you can imagine.  I had been asked to judge Fine Arts "in Dennis' place" this year and it was the most intimidating assignment imaginable.  There is NO FILLING DENNIS' PLACE - PERIOD, but somehow I felt it was imperative that he be represented there.  He had given over 25 years of his life to judging young men and women and pouring into their lives in this venue and therefore it had to be done.  It ended up being a highlight and a very healing time for me.  The young men I judged with, Aaron & Nathan, were so gracious to this "old lady" and incredibly talented and resourceful.  It was such an enjoyable time and I can't wait to judge again :)

My time with Sara was priceless and to have Amber as well made everything perfect.  It was surprising to me that I would fall in love with Arizona.  Yes, it was HOT but a dry heat and who could stay focused on the fieriness of the desert with the beauty that surrounded us?  The mountains, cacti, mesquite, rock formations and unbelievably azure sky with those beautifully inflated clouds took my breath away.  The trip to Sedona and to the Grand Canyon cannot be described by me.  There are no words magnificent enough and no camera that can capture the grandeur and splendor that met our eyes.  I saw Dennis everywhere we went.  He was in the splendor of every sunrise and sunset, in the radiant red soil and the majesty of the Grand Canyon.  While at Council I saw him among friends who surrounded us from when "our story" began in 1971.  I cannot count the number of precious friends who assured me they had prayed for me countless times (as well as many of them sending cards and notes and scriptures to encourage me time and time again).  There were those who were unaware until this past week that Dennis had gone on to his eternal reward and we cried together as their grief journey began right then and there.  At the Memorial Breakfast, it was heartbreaking to watch his name scroll across the screen and yet it proved to be another healing moment as well.  I saw him sitting among the judges and the thousands of students gathered to share talent that represented hard work and commitment of gifts dedicated to the Lord.  I could almost catch the sound of his laugh,  hear his encouraging words and see the smile that lit his face as he shared the wonderment of Evangel University.  He was there as we sat in the Airways arena and watched a group of young people perform "nontraditional" percussion, beating on trash cans and crashing their lids while stomping and twirling (he would have applauded their talent and been the first to say how wonderful it was that they were there in Phoenix celebrating Jesus when they could have been anywhere else but...).  I felt him with me every minute and could feel his smile and his pride in me that I was continuing the vision we had together.  I could very nearly hear him say, "I never doubted for a minute that you would continue to move forward.  I'm so proud of you!" It proved to be a corner turned, a healing time, A MIRACLE. 

Sara & Teena at the Grand Canyon - July, 2011

1 comment:

  1. No surprises in any of this , Teena...but what a beautiful tribute to Dennis and to YOUR spirit of determination and 'spunk' - two of the many qualities that make you the lady we all love and the wife Dennis cherished. There are many more adventures ahead for you...and we can't wait to hear all about them! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete